Chemicals
Top stories summarized by our editors
9/19/2018

Linde could sell assets to CVC Capital Partners and Messer Group to receive antitrust clearance for its deal with Praxair, a source says.

Full Story:
Reuters
9/19/2018

Converting from plastics to traditional alternatives such as glass and metal isn't necessarily the best thing for the environment, writes Tony Kingsbury of supply chain sustainability consultancy TKingsbury. Kingsbury advocates better waste management and urges people to consider how nonplastics could be harmful for the environment.

Full Story:
GreenBiz
9/19/2018

Covestro is creating polyurethane coatings and adhesives that use water rather than solvent. The technology will reduce emissions of volatile organic compounds and make manufacturing more sustainable, says Xiaobin Zhong, a Covestro executive.

Full Story:
DigiTimes
9/18/2018

China announced 5% to 10% tariffs on $60 billion worth of US goods today after the Trump administration said the US will impose 10% tariffs on an additional $200 billion in Chinese products. The US tariffs of 10% are set to rise to 25% at the start of 2019.

9/18/2018

The Environmental Protection Agency's Toxic Substances Control Act fees rule goes into effect in October. The cost of filing a pre-manufacture notice would increase by $13,500.

9/18/2018

Clariant and SABIC will form a joint venture that combines their high-performance materials businesses. Clariant also announced it plans to sell its plastics and coatings operations by 2020.

Full Story:
Reuters, Reuters
More Summaries:
Clariant, SABIC
9/18/2018

Univar has agreed to purchase Nexeo Solutions in a deal valued at $2 billion with debt. Univar says it is exploring selling Nexeo's plastics arm.

More Summaries:
Nexeo Solutions, Univar, Nexeo
9/18/2018

Bayer will accept bids through mid-October from companies interested in buying its 60% interest in chemical complex operator Currenta, according to sources. Lanxess owns the other 40% of the company.

Full Story:
Reuters
More Summaries:
Bayer, Lanxess
9/18/2018

DowDuPont has chosen James Collins and Marc Doyle to lead its Corteva Agriscience and DuPont segments, respectively, after the company splits into three companies next year. Jim Fitterling has already been announced as CEO of Dow upon completion of the materials science division's separation.

9/17/2018

North American Free Trade Agreement talks between the US and Canada are expected to resume this week as negotiators look to reach a deal before the trilateral Sept. 30 deadline. "We will do the work needed and try and get there as quick as we can, but we are going to make sure that we are doing what is necessary to get the right deal for Canadians," said Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

More Summaries:
Justin Trudeau